I just came back from the homecoming game (we lost. sad face) and I am pretty exhausted, but I wanted to post about tonight's happenings since I did not have a camera nor my phone to capture the memories.
The stadium was packed with black and yellow ("black and yellow, black and yellow!") and it burst with KP spirit. Students, parents, and staff were there to cheer on our beloved Panthers. I ran into students at the game who I didn't see in class earlier today, caught up with some alumni, and chatted with parents of previous students. For the first time in a while, it didn't rain. The weather was perfect.
I made sure to greet the mom of the star varisty football player, who I taught his freshman year and is now a senior. She had told me at the last football game that I was his favorite teacher. His class in particular was a handful, to say the least, but Brian was always a sweetheart. I asked her if Brian received any football scholarships or have heard back from any places. I was quite heartbroken when she told me his ACT score was too low, and thus has to retake it in a few weeks. He is pure muscle and is the most athletic person in our school. Having been scouted by college coaches, I was sure he'd receive a full ride to some Big Ten University. Last year we talked about Brian's then girlfriend and how we both didn't like her and her negative influence on Brian. This year was different. She pointed to a girl who he got pregnant. I was a little shell-shocked because she was pointing to a girl who I've known since she was a freshman and is very dear to me. It couldn't be...
I excused myself and made my way over to Neri and my other girls to say hi and to confirm her pregnancy. I was beyond dumbfounded. I must have been in denial for the first five weeks of school because reality slapped me in the face in that moment. When Neri and the other girls came up to me at the beginning of the school year, my eyes went straight to her stomach as it was protruding out way more than usual. She was obviously pregnant, but I convinced byself that she just gained some weight and didn't ask out of fear that I would offend her. The other girls told me tonight that they were surprised I hadn't asked and confessed that Neri was afraid to tell me. I cried. I remember telling these girls to stay away from boys until they were 30 and telling the boys that I will cut their thing off if they got a girl pregnant. I was semi-joking. The tears that welled up in my eyes were more out of sadness and compassion than disappointment.
I held her hand and spent the entire second and third quarter catching up with her and the other girls while multi-tasking and cheering for our boys with the rest of the crowd. I learned about all the details and drama and how in the end, Neri made the courageous decision to keep the baby despite very unfortunate circumstances. She cried. Apparently, Brian has moved on to another girl and his mom has forbidden him to speak to her.
Both students are good people and I would have never imagined I'd be hearing such news about them. It goes to show that even the best and unlikely people are completely capable of making poor decisions.
Lately, I've been in awe of my current stage in life. I've dreamt of being a math teacher in a city school and here I am as a math teacher in CPS. Tonight, I felt like I was a mentor more than a classroom teacher. I've seen these girls grow and mature over these four years. I think I surprised myself tonight how deep my love for them is.
Moments and nights like these make my 14 hour work days worth every second and confirm my calling and passion to do what I do.
I excused myself and made my way over to Neri and my other girls to say hi and to confirm her pregnancy. I was beyond dumbfounded. I must have been in denial for the first five weeks of school because reality slapped me in the face in that moment. When Neri and the other girls came up to me at the beginning of the school year, my eyes went straight to her stomach as it was protruding out way more than usual. She was obviously pregnant, but I convinced byself that she just gained some weight and didn't ask out of fear that I would offend her. The other girls told me tonight that they were surprised I hadn't asked and confessed that Neri was afraid to tell me. I cried. I remember telling these girls to stay away from boys until they were 30 and telling the boys that I will cut their thing off if they got a girl pregnant. I was semi-joking. The tears that welled up in my eyes were more out of sadness and compassion than disappointment.
I held her hand and spent the entire second and third quarter catching up with her and the other girls while multi-tasking and cheering for our boys with the rest of the crowd. I learned about all the details and drama and how in the end, Neri made the courageous decision to keep the baby despite very unfortunate circumstances. She cried. Apparently, Brian has moved on to another girl and his mom has forbidden him to speak to her.
Both students are good people and I would have never imagined I'd be hearing such news about them. It goes to show that even the best and unlikely people are completely capable of making poor decisions.
Lately, I've been in awe of my current stage in life. I've dreamt of being a math teacher in a city school and here I am as a math teacher in CPS. Tonight, I felt like I was a mentor more than a classroom teacher. I've seen these girls grow and mature over these four years. I think I surprised myself tonight how deep my love for them is.
Moments and nights like these make my 14 hour work days worth every second and confirm my calling and passion to do what I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment